Outside weld between nozzle and jacket

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElCidCampeador

Mechanical
May 14, 2015
IT
Hi everyone,

I'm designing a jacketed vessel, material carbon steel, according to ASME VIII Div.1.

Condition:

Shell pressure: 15 bar/FV, Thk. 18mm
Jacket pressure: 5 bar, Thk. 10mm

Please look at figure here attached. What is the minimum dimension of throat of that fillet weld, according to ASME VIII Div.1?

The lowest weld, between nozzle and shell shall follow fig. UW-16.1, right? But upper one? Thank you

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=727fc4c5-abe8-4d48-b155-2a8390fe956e&file=Weld.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

david339933 said:
Have you checked out App. 9?

Yes, but I'm confused.

Par. 9.6 (a) (2), which seems to be my case, says:

(2) design of openings through the jacket space that also penetrate the vessel shell or head shall be in accordance with U-2(g).

Then I've read U-2(g):

(g) This Division of Section VIII does not contain rules
to cover all details of construction. Where complete details of construction are not given, the Manufacturer, subject to the acceptance of the Authorized Inspector, shall provide the appropriate details to be used.
(1) Where design rules do not exist in this Division,
one of the following three methods shall be used:
(-a) Mandatory Appendix 46.
(-b) proof test in accordance with UG-101.
(-c) other recognized and generally accepted
methods, such as those found in other ASME, EN, ISO, national, and industry standards or codes. This option shall
provide details of design consistent with the allowable
stress criteria provided in UG-23

My idea is to apply UW-16.1 also to this welding detail, but all (-a), (-b) and (-c) above seems not to permit it. Par. (-c) refers to "other" ASME...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back