Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outsourcing the task of Certifying the UDS per Sec VIII Div 2 Ed 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some Curious Guy

Mechanical
Mar 23, 2011
IN
I have some confusion in interpreting the requirement of Certifying Engineer specified in Anexure 2-J of Sec VIII Div 2 Ed 2019. I am specifically asking this for the requirement of certifying the UDS. 

I can understand from para 2-J-3-2(b) that the UDS Certifying Engineer shall demonstrate through documented evidence that the he has minimum 4 years of experience in design of Pressure vessel per Div 2. 

What I find confusing is 2-J-3-2 (c) and (d) . I am reproducing the same below. 

2-J-3-2-(c)The certifying Engineer shall be chartered , registered, or licensed within either the jurisdiction where the design activity takes place or the jurisdiction of the location of installation.

2-J-3-2--(d) The certifying Engineer shall be chartered , registered, or licensed in accordance with one or more of the following. 
1) A registered professional engineer in at least one state of the United States or the province of Canada. 
2) the international register of Professional Engineers by an authorized member of the international Professional Engineers agreement.
3) an authorized member of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation ( APEC ) 
4) an authorized memner of the European Federation of National Engineering Association ( FEANI) 

Unquote. 

Let us say that Engineering activities ( Preparation of UDS. Vessel Datasheet etc )  is carried out in country A. The vessel is going to be installed in country B. Does the clause 2-J-3-2(c) makes it mandatory that UDS Certifying Engineer must be registered/chartered/Licensed in country A or Country B. 
Let us say we have a Engineer residing and registered in a country other than US or Canada. He is fulfilling all the experience and skill requirements of a Certifying Engineer( min 4 years of experience). He is fulfilling the requirements of 2-J-3-2(d)(1) or (2) or (3). Can we outsource certifying the UDS to this person from Country C. 

Let me replace A,B,C by a proper Country name.

.Let us suppose that the EPC contractor is in Saudi Arabia. The Vessel location is in Saudi Arabia. Can the EPC contractor in Saudi Arabia give the task of certifying the UDS to a Chartered Engineer in India ? 
Or the EPC contractor in Saudi Arabia has to compulsorily look for a certifying Engineer registered in Saudi Arabia or Canada or USA. 

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

See the new codecase 2992. It will thoroughly answer your question.

Here in NZ, National regulations trump ASME. Pressure vessel design must be certified by an engineer who meets the requirements of national regulations, regards of the design code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back