Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Over riding a Dim in Detail 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

oharag

Mechanical
Dec 16, 2002
US
I have a long part that will be broken on a drawing. I want to replace the existing length dim with -> "L" (I will have a table for different lengths "L"), in a sense overriding the true dimension. I can delete the <DIM> nomenclature in the Dim Prop Panel and type "L", but I would also like to apply a bilateral tolerance to this "L" dimension. I can not do this if I delete <DIM> and replace with "L". I can type in tolerances but it looks stupid for a bilateral tolerance (no problem for a symmetric tol since the plus/minus symbol can be inserted).

Wasn't there a way to hide the <DIM> value in SW? I thought there was a switch you could type before the <DIM> that essentially hides it on the drawing, but still allowed tolerances to be aplied this invisible dimension.

Hopefully my question is clear :)

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No just go down to Primary Value and hit override then type "L" in the box.

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 3.0 & Pro/E 2001
XP Pro SP2.0 P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

(In reference to David Beckham) "He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right." -- George Best

I don't know what you're using, but on SW 2007 under the dimension property manager, under primary value select "Override Value" and type in L. At this time, you can also select the desired tolerances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back