Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overall Velocity of a Deformable Object

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcakir

Mechanical
Aug 22, 2012
TR
Hello Everyone;

Could someone help me on plotting the overall post-impact velocity of a DEFORMABLE BODY. I have not any problem with the problem itself. But having trouble with the plotting of overall velocity of the body.

Note: I have tried plotting node based velocity but it gives me no idea how the big picture is seen.

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no output dedicated for that. The velocity is a nodal variable, so it is available per node.

You could request the mass and the kinetic energy for the part as history output and use that.
Or you can create a reference node inside your part and connect is with some spring to some nodes. Then you can evaluate the velocity of that node to get something like an average velocity.

Dear Mustaine
Thank you for the feedback. I will try your suggestion as soon as possible.
At the time being, I have found a solution for this problem. I took a slice of nodes perpendicular to impact direction and plotted their nodal velocity history then averaged them. It seems reasonable at this stage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back