Overcurrent protection for nonlinear heater load 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyreInc

Electrical
Apr 7, 2011
US
Hello,

We have a heater whose resistance increases substantially as it heats up, meaning its current draw decreases. If left on too long at full power (~8-12 s) it can get too hot and cause issues. Normally the heater is used in a PID loop to prevent this, but that cannot be counted on without more robust safety measures (functional safety is not feasible at this time). So I need to find a fuse, breaker, or some sort of passive device(s) that can interrupt the heating circuit if the heater stays on too long. I have looked at many time delay fuses and some circuit breakers but none have had the needed I vs. t characteristics.

The chart below illustrates this: the blue and orange lines represent the average current vs. time for the min and max heater resistance tolerance (so the value shown at e.g. 1 s is the average of the current drawn from 0-1 s, the value at 2 s is the average from 0-2 s, etc.); the grey line is roughly what I need; and the thick yellow line is the best matching fuse I have yet found.

As you can see, the fuse stays above the blue and orange lines the whole time, meaning it will never blow.

For the grey line, which again approximates the I vs. t characteristics I need, the only important feature is that it is above both the blue and orange lines for at least the first 5s or so, and below both of those within about 10s. So it can be slightly above/below or drastically so, as long as it crosses somewhere in the 5-10s time-frame. (The portion from about 0.5-2 s where the fuse line dips below this line is ok since its still above the min/max current lines.)

Do you know of any passive devices or circuits that can accomplish this?

BTW the other option we have identified is to put a thermal cutoff switch near the heater, but this is a difficult challenge in this application.

Thanks!

image_nnqmej.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Trivia Alert
An old old idea.
Ford engines used a similar idea in their gauges as far back as in the '40s.
Two bi-metal strips wound with nichrome wire and connected in series.
The sender had a contact that was moved by the measured variable.
For instance when the oil pressure increased, the contact would push against the bi-metal strip. The current would flow until the bi-metal got hot enough to bend away from the contact.
The nichrome heaters would cycle both bi-metals together.
When the sender bi-metal moved away from the contact the current was interrupted and it would cool down and make contact and repeat the cycle.
The receiver bi-metal was connected to the indicating needle.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

That is fascinating, Bill. I was not aware of that, but it explains the odd way the gauges behaved when you switched the ignition on or off. It is a very basic servo sender/receiver mechanism that could be useful for innumerable applications. Of course, every thing is done with digital electronics now.

I believe that was the setup until computers showed up. It threw in a huge time-delay so the sloshing fuel in the tank never appeared on the gauge. The rheostat in the fuel tank was completely open in the gasoline and one side was hooked to the metal tank, both of which caused much concern to those who were ignorant to the required fuel/air ratios.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back