Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

overhang values

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert216

Structural
Apr 11, 2007
US
For a porch roof (all is open), is it appropriate to apply overhang values for design of the rafters/ trusses and connections? If not, what would be appropriate? I believe that we would need to account for positive pressure on the underside of the roof (or porch ceiling) and negative pressure on the top side of the roof deck. I have always treated this as an overhang condition, but would like to know how others treated this condition.

Thanks,

Rob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to check for both --- say a downward live and dead load and/or an upward wind live load. Also - you need to be carefull at the edges of the buildings for higher loads. Check out IBC2006 or ASCE

I understand that I need to check for all of these. My real question is this: Are the components and cladding "overhang" (simplified method-the table) values appropriate? These are very high and these are what I have always used when designing for uplift. Should I use an analytical procedure and treat this as an open structure? I am just curious as to what other engineers use.

Thanks, Rob

I would use analytical procedure as an open structure. I routinely use that for aluminum canopy structures (similar to your application, different materials).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back