Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Overhang with a Parapet Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad_S

Structural
Jun 14, 2018
US
I am fairly new with RISA and am working on a design that has a overhang extending off the entrance of the building and side (like an eyebrow) by about 2'. This overhang has a parapet wall extending higher than the normal walls as well. Being that it is not a wall member, I am unsure if there is a way to model RISA to perform this properly. Does the software have the ability to do this?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So, what's the purpose of modeling this parapet? Wind loads? To me the point in creating an analysis model is to get the main structural system and loading accounted for. Therefore, I might just ignore the parapet overhang in the model. Design the parapet via hand calc, but manually add in the loading from it wherever it connects to the main lateral force resisting system.

@JoshPlum

I have a one story box style building that I want to apply a line load at the top of the wall panel (Using Wood Shear Walls) to account for this added load. I am struggling to attach a load to the top. When I use the "Add distributed loads to members/wall panels" it seems like the distributed load is being added to the bottom of the shear wall.

Will I need to add a non-structural member at the top of the shear walls in order to apply the line load or is there another way around this?

Thank you for the help! It is much appreciated!

Brad_S said:
Will I need to add a non-structural member at the top of the shear walls in order to apply the line load or is there another way around this?

That's certainly an acceptable way to do it. I don't have difficulty applying partial length distributed loads to the top of my wall (see image below). But, you have to be careful to click on the edge where you want the load to be applied.

image_rantmq.png

Well I found my error and I want to bang my head against the wall for how simple this was. I was clicking on the edge of the wall that I saw. Said wall was rendered 80% so I was just clicking on empty space in the mind of the program. Thank you for the help, I apologize for the simple questions.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back