Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overhung Load Equation

Status
Not open for further replies.

seventofour

Mechanical
Aug 14, 2016
US
I want to extend the output shaft of a gearbox by 6 inches, from the face of output seal to the end of the shaft would be 6.00 inches. I want to calculate the overhung load but all of the equations that I find seem to focus around having a pulley or sheave at the end of the standard output shaft, but we will not be adding a pulley or sheave to the end of the shaft. The equation in the gearbox manufacturers catalog is (HP*126000*Overhung Load Factor)/Pitch Diameter*Output RPM.

Does anyone have an equation I can use?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

the equation you cite covers the reaction forces on the output shaft imparted by a <torque transmitting element> as are e.g. pulleys or sheaves.
This equation still not covers the forces from the weight of these appliances or takeup forces etc.
The factors 126k and OLF are imo impossible to be read / understood w/o the document they originate from, this is specific to the machinery you're looking at (perhaps someone else too..).
Vertical (to shaft axis) loads influence the liefcycle of the shaft and the shaft bearings and are a matter closely watched by the gearbox designers / manuf.-s.
So, some questions arise:
- Tech. background of the shaft prolongation?
- Would a sketch be possible?
- Why not contact the gearbox OEM on this? (They'll be helpful, I'd hope)
Regards

Roland Heilmann, Leipzig, FRG

Hi seventofour

How are you going to extend the shaft by coupling? What is the purpose of the shaft extension and what will it be connected too?

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back