Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overlapping bosses 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

finisher

Mechanical
May 12, 2006
US
I am currently modeling a manifold which has a series of drafted bosses that must overlap slightly. I can not pattern the seed with either linear pattern or with sketch driven pattern. They show in the preview but won't execute. Is there a way to force the completion of this command?

Walter SW2008 XP64

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yeah, I generally have no success in getting draft to work in patterns. Draft afterward if possible. If that causes problems, see if you can create your boss (and draft) as a non-connected body (two bodies in your part--the part itself and the boss) and then pattern the bodies. Use the Join tool to rejoin the multiple bodies into a single body.

Jeff Mowry
A people governed by fear cannot value freedom.

Thanks to both of you. Yup, I tried it and adding the draft afterwards does the trick. I just wonder why it has to be done in that sequence. I would prefer being able to pre-draft. In fact the tapered bosses in my manifold were actually done as revolves.

Finisher,
Try adding the draft as part of the boss as opposed to a second feature. I sometimes have the same problem and have noticed it may have to do with when the feature was selected. Also try adding the draft in a second pattern. I have used this on fillets, when I experience the same problem.

Adam

SolidWorks seems to have difficulty keeping good track of faces--so my guess is that patterning features nearly always gets the Draft feature lost for this reason. I don't recall ever seeing Draft pattern appropriately, which causes a lot of tree clutter when doing several patterns of several drafted features. Annoying. Glad it worked.

Jeff Mowry
A people governed by fear cannot value freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back