Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overlapping two highly irregular parts for SImulation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

simplystudent

Civil/Environmental
Apr 11, 2018
US
Hi,

I have two parts(in STL format) that I need to overlap perfectly and then analyse them in ABAQUS. I am trying to use solidworks and hypermesh for this but am unable to do so. Can anyone help me with this? What software can be used for moving the parts, and placing them over each other perfectly?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't help but ask, your ET ID is simplystudent. Are you a student? If so, is this question related to a classroom assignment? If so, you're violating the terms and conditions you agreed to when you joined ET.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

"Overlap perfectly". Whatever does that mean?

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Hi Mr. John,

I am a Graduate student working on my research, during the summer break. As this work was related to my research I believed it will not violate the requirements. If it does then I am really sorry and will delete this immediately.

Thank you.

How would you define a fit? The way the software I use assembles many parts together is to start with a very large positional error allowance, and the progressively reduces that error, and adds gravity, so that a bunch of parts that were defined in zero g actually end up touching under 1g.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Hi Mike,

The STL files are upper and bottom half of a same part. I need to bring them together. However when I import those files I can see that the two halves intersect and are not a perfect match. As they are irregular using solidwork seems not feasible.

Thank you.

Hi Greg,

For me the fit would be the top surface of bottom half and bottom surface of top half perfectly coinciding. May I know which software you are using for bringing the parts together?

Thank you.

Have you tried using Contact Initialization? If you have access to the original CAD models the best thing might be model them with a small gap and then bring them into contact in Abaqus.

Thank you Dan!!! I think I will work on your approach as this seems applicable.

Appreciating everyone for your help and time!!!

Regards.

Hi rothers,
I figured out these STL files were 3D scan. But the move feature in solidwork is kind of working right now, as I am able to translate and rotate the parts. Do you have any other suggestion?
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back