Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oversize Primary Fuse on Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

zimmerDN

Electrical
Jan 17, 2013
CA
The CEC code allows the use of overcurrent protection device rated at 125% of the rating of a dry type transformer with primary voltage below 750V, overcurrent protection on the secondary side is not required.

Are the transformers built to withstand the load at 125% for long periods of time? Is the 125% primary o/c rating to allow for in-rush?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would expect the 125% is so the transformer can operate at full load without blowing a fuse but inrush could be about ~10 times the full load of the tranformer so I wouldn't consider it is setup to "allow for inrush."

What is the reason that the code allows 125% primary o/c protection on a transformer and is it common/best practice to do so without secondary o/c protection?

Is't there any thermal protection to take care of overload? Fuses are usually not at all there for overload protection.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

In Canada and probably the US it's a code issue. Most fused switches and breakers are approved for continuous operation at 80% of the rating. In order for a transformer to deliver full rated current to a continuous load, the fuses or breaker must be 125% oversized.
Rule 8-104 (5),(a)
Most continuous loads are required to be supplied with conductors and overcurrent devices rated or set at 125% of the load current as a code requirement.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back