Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Own my own firm, want to get 2nd job

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjeppesen

Civil/Environmental
Jun 12, 2003
US
I have a (now) one-man civil engineering firm in FL that rode the wave up and rode the wave down in the real estate boom. My clients are almost all land owners/developers. Needless to say, I'm fighting to keep the doors open.

I am now sending out my resume and interviewing with other companies (some engineering firms, energy companies, construction companies), etc. I'm getting close to getting an offer from a company way out west that specializes in bridge design and doesn't do any of what I do, but wants to get into it.

Ok, now the question. I have a long list of clients that will still need engineering services done occasionally -- finish old projects, certifications, etc. Is there any way to do this work on the side (under my company's license, using my software,etc.) and still keep my new employer happy? I would not take advantage of my new employer whatsoever as I've had people do that to me in the past and it hurts. Basically I'd like to keep my FL work to myself if possible and leave the rest of the country to my new employer.

The new employer has already said they have a no moonlighting policy because of liability. Maybe I could be a contractor?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the new company has specifically stated no moonlighting, being a contractor is your only way out. Even then, they may have issues with it.... there's a reason they chose the rule, so even as a contractor they may not want you if you choose to do work outside of their sphere of influence.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Everything is negotiable. It might be possible to replace the "no moonlighting" clause in the employment agreement with a clause that requires you to carry insurance that protects the new employeer from your moonlighting. You never know what is possible until you bring it up. I've found that the bigger the company, the less flexible they are on the first impression--but even with big companies there are ways to reach mutually beneficial results.

David

In my opinion the moonlighting clause has nothing to do with liability. Employers basically frown upon moonlighting because your productivity will go down because you are thinking of your own projects, and not theirs 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back