Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

owner side / contractor side (seeking advise) 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

greedypumpkin

Civil/Environmental
Apr 16, 2014
PH
i am a fresh graduate and i wanted to seek your advise. i am actually really confused right now. i wouldn't start by asking which is better since they are of different fields and shouldn't be compared.
i recently started working on the owner's side which is obviously a bigger company. but i think i am not satisfied experience-wise. i kind of wanted to transfer on a smaller company which is on the contractor's side.

i am still unsure whether it would be wise to leave my company for a smaller one. people around me keep telling me it would be a waste given the salary and all. and maybe i'm just not seeing the whole picture. i'm really at a loss right now. i hope you can give me an overview in these fields because i don't have enough insight right now.

anyway i am assigned to paperworks. more on documents and contracts

thank you very much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

greedypumpkin...you are entirely correct. Women engineers have a tougher time dealing with the day-to-day engineering issues than men. Fact of life, but you seem to know that.

You are asking questions that imply you have no mentor. That's a difficulty for young engineers, regardless of gender. If you have no one in your organization, look outside for an engineer with experience that you trust to give you one-on-one advice and guidance. It is invaluable.

As for your question about regulatory agencies.....in general civil engineering, you may deal with a lot of "regulatory agencies". Those are governmental agencies that have regulation power (control) over what you do for projects that affect the public. An example would be submitting drawings to the planning and zoning commission, the building department or a drainage control district to review and approve your project. They have specific standards of design that they require and you MUST follow at least their minimum protocol.

Find a mentor and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back