Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Oxygen level sensor in mixing chamber/tank 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

petb

Marine/Ocean
Nov 1, 2005
FI
We are mixing air, at room temperature and N2 in a mixing chamber/tank. We want to make sure that we are getting the oxygen under a certain limit before allowing it to enter the process. Do you have any recommendations on a sensor/type of sensor that can achieve this? This gas mixture will then be mixed into a closed process with known oxygen levels to achieve the desired final oxygen level in the process. Any suggestions on sensor type or other ideas are highly welcome.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry for not being more precise, I do know that I need an oxygen sensor. What I was looking for was advice on what type would be sufficient/reasonable to use in this application. So more of an recommendation if I should go with amperometric sensor or a TDL-sensor.

There are two options, fuel cell or hot electrode.
Fuel cell sensors are far more traditional and work well.
They do require maintenance (electrolyte) and calibration.
Cal isn't a big deal for you because you could set up to run your pure N2 over it and use that as a zero setting.
How low are you measuring?
If you are staying above 0.1% then it is easy.
These sensors will do 1ppm with proper install and cal.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

If the purity of injected N2 is known, isnt it just a mass balance to find the O2 content of the blend, assuming you have good flowmeters for N2 and air? If you must, add temp and pressure compensation to each of these meters to hone your result.

EdStainless, thanks I will look into the fuel cell variant as well. georgeverghese, for a stable process this would be sufficient, but being a pilot plant with a lot of variations a sensor is needed.

SICK makes some rather good ones - also ATEX. They are based on light (laser)

One thing though: They are a little sensitive to condensation (it messes up the mirror) and not above 60ºC so while they may make you think they are "plug and forget" they may still require service depending on your installation. One of the first we installed we installed in a bad position and was seriously challenged. Then we discovered it was too hot and too much condensation and were able to move the instrument downstream where the gas had cooled and not so much condensation and now it works a lot better.

We are replacing our Servomex and MT with this where possible (and needed ;-) ) The picture shows out old installation - now its in a vertical pipe that should also improve performance

IMG_20211029_105050_yoimbx.jpg

--- Best regards, Morten Andersen

Morten,
Thank you for the information. The planned position for us is right after a mixing chamber where we mix a drying media with some inert gas, not very susceptible to condensation in this position so I think this will work well. Thank you for the recommendation.
BR
PB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back