Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ozone smell with Electronic filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

felixc

Electrical
Feb 4, 2003
CA
Hi,

my house has an electronic filter unit integrated to the central HVAC system. It is a Honeywell unit rebranded by Lennox. Each time, after I clean the filters and put them back, there will be ozone smells in the house for 3-4 days before it settles down. Not very good for the health. Throat irritation, headaches. The contrary to what it is supposed to provide. Otherwise the unit seems to trap dust well. Does anyone have a clue why it happens and if there is anything to prevent this from happening?

thanks

Felixc

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

felix - I'm sure the net effect of this unit is positive, but I think ionization of some of the air (producing ozone) in addition to particle ionization might be an operating characteristic of this unit. Do you have a charcoal filter at the outlet?

Chasbean1 - No, there is no charcoal filter after the electronic filter. There is a slot remaining for a quarter-inch thick extra filtering unit. Maybe I can check if anything exists that I could install there. I'm surprised at how few info is available on the net for this kind of equipment. Felixc

Look at the circuit board and see if it has a j-5 terminal. If it does remove the jumper and reinstall on one pin only (open ckt). This will reduce ozone 20-25% and unit eff 7-10% Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back