Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

P&ID symbol for flow splitter/joiner

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGaff

Chemical
Mar 1, 2010
GB
Hey, my tutor is being a bit of a jobsworth and said i need to show a flow splitter/joiner on all the pipe junctions on my P&ID, and wont tell me what they look like.

Google was no help at all, so i hope you guys can.

Im just looking for a simple symbol to show when streams join and split. EG

-----------> and <---------->
^ ^
| |

Cheers for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I see something that looks like electronic logic gate symbols that some people use for converging and diverting flows. I don't use these and see no purpose.

Seems ridiculous to me (without knowing the whole story). It gave me a bit of chuckle when I imagined someone going to buy pipe fittings and specifying a 'flow joiner' instead of a tee. How about 'flow benders' for elbows and 'flow stoppers' for valves?

In all seriousness, I have never seen anything besides lines with arrows for indicating direction of flow...anyone trying to be 'creative' with a piping and instrumentation diagram is likely to be ridiculed by any serious engineer.

its only in HYSYS and similar that its called a splitter/mixer. Normally its called a tee and (as Zoobie says). and unless it also includes check valves then it wont prevent flow from going from high pressure o low pressure.

Best regards

Morten

i use the pipe strecher symbol myself, sorry, couldn't resist.

Placing a dot on the connection of two lines to make sure it doesn't look like the line cross or that one line isn't capped is good.

P&IDs don't normally have splitters and mixer, they have directional arrows. However PFDs do sometimes, you can probably install Visio or DIA to check on the shape, or search for stencils shapes for visio.

in P&IDs drawing we don't need symbols to define splitter/joiner.

intersections means that the tow stream are joined or on stream is splitted into two streams by means of directional arrows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back