Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

P.E. letters of recommendation from a cold start 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrellThomasNV

Mechanical
Oct 2, 2009
US
Hello fellow engineers! I’m looking for some advice.

I’m trying to get my P.E. license in Nevada and I’ll be sitting for the test in a few weeks on October 23rd--wish me luck. Assuming I pass, the state requires four letters of recommendation from other P.E.s (any state), and four years of experience among other things. I have the four years, but I don’t have the letters yet.

Here’s the scoop: When I graduated B.S.M.E. many years ago, I worked for a P.E., and accomplished 3.5 years of experience (well documented). I started putting my P.E. package together in Florida where I lived, and I had everything I needed to test, including letters of recommendation--3 of which were P.E.s. Well… military duty called and unfortunately I never sat for the test.

Instead, I was selected to fly some pretty high-performance aircraft in the USAF. It was a blast, and I’ve been doing it for the past 15 years or so. It’s the most fun you can have with your clothes on! So, 15 years older, I'm ready to get back into engineering. Feeling stale, I go back to my Alma Matter and recently get an M.S. Engineering (2009). I’ll be retiring from the military in about 18 months after one more deployment.

As for the P.E., I’ll have 5.5 years of experience (the M.S. counts as two), the test (assuming I pass), the F.E. taken years ago, but no letters of recommendation. Nevada will not accept my letters written to the Florida board, they must be on the NEVADA forms, and ALL the recommendation must be from P.E.s. The strongest letter I have is from my P.E. mentor and coach, Dr. Sidhu, but he regretfully passed away a few years ago. The second strongest is not a P.E.—Florida didn’t require them all to be P.E.s; and the other two guys I worked on a “few” projects and I didn’t know very well beyond that.

I’m trying to avoid the “start over” answer, but this may be the case. Some things I’ve considered were:

(1) Ask my M.S. professors if they are P.E.s and get their endorsement--hopefully I can find four. (2) Volunteer to do some work on the side for a P.E. to demonstrate a sample of work. I still have a day job though. (3) Ask the board for a waiver. Likely. (4) Don’t take the test in Nevada. Take it in Florida and use the letters I’ve got. I don’t live in Florida.

thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Congrats!

As long as you're rounding up, I strongly suggest you establish an NCEES record. That way, if you need to be licensed in another state, you don't have to do all the rounding up of references (and ordering of transcripts, and confirming of FE exam, etc.) all over again.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

beat the bushes and got three recs.. now I just need one more. I'll probably apply with just the three, and apply for a "justified waiver" of the fourth. The board may/may not accept the waiver request. I will justify the missing 4th rec. based on the older rec that I received from another state, and the impossibility of getting it transferred to NV because the reference writer passed away a few years ago. I'll keep you guys posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back