Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

P-trap at air-handling unit drain connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcxdfm

Mechanical
Apr 19, 2006
US
I had always thought that P-trap at the air-handling unit condensate drain connection is needed all the time, no matter if the cooling coil is blow-through or draw-through configuration. However, in the project I am working on, I select a wall-mounted BARD unit with blow through configuration. I was asked why the P-trap is needed. My point is that P trap in the blow through configuration can prevent the cold air at the coil from escaping through the drain pipe. Am I correct here? Anyone can share your experience with BARD unit? Or could you advise anything on this P-trap topic?

Thank you so much!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks, quark.

Another engineer just told me that as long as no negative pressure at the coil connection, no need for the P-trap. I am really confused, so blow through AC unit does not need P-trap???...By the way, in the project, the condensate drain will discharge into the underground drain pipe through the air gap and hub above ground...

Thanks again.

I think on blow through units, you need to be more aware of the depth of the trap. A high static unit will blow out a shallow trap.

Always have the depth of water in the P-trap 1" more than the max S.P. of the fan (positive or negative. Thus, with a blow-through unit producing 6" s.p., the p-trap should have a water seal 7" deep.

For a draw-through unit producing say,-1.5" s.p., the p-trap water seal should be a min. of 2.5" deep.

Hope this helps.

I would always install a P-trap regardless of whether it is blow through or draw through. You have to consider all conditions including when the unit may not be in operation. When the unit it not in operation there would be nothing to prevent drain gases from migrating up into the unit / ductwork and potentially into the occupied spaces.

P-traps aren't expensive, but sometimes the installation of them can be.

We reviewed a project where the housekeeping pad had been deleted and the contractor attempted to use 3" of drop to trap against almost 6" of static.

The resulting 'fix' involved coring through the concrete floor and then installing a P-trap in the ceiling space of the floor below.... on 8 air handling units.

The issue was due to 'equal' product being supplied. The equal product that arrived on site was 100mm taller than the design equipment. The solution was to delete the housekeeping pad. Live and learn.

It depends to the size of the unit and the working SP.
A high working Sp of a AHU will blw out lots of air and creates high noise. Better to have a trap.

Note also that if you don't have enough drop for the trap, the condensate would back up in the pan and the pan will remain flooded during summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back