Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pad Print Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreinsdo

Mechanical
Jul 6, 2011
US
I am having some artwork pad printed on a part, but am concerned with the durability of the pad print over time. The part is a component of a consumer product, and will go in pockets, briefcases, etc. I fear that it will noticeably wear over time due to these types of environments. Although the loads are low, the number of cycles is high.

The pad printing operation is being performed on a mirrored surface. I am looking for some kind of secondary op I can perform to further protect the pad printed art work. I am thinking some kind of protective coating/sacrificial layer, but am open to any ideas!

Please let me know if you would like any further clarification. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

clear overcoat that is used in parts marking parts.

Mfgenggear
if it can be built it can be calculated.
if it can be calculated it can be built.

It would be far easier etch the glass than to pad print and then try to protect the ink. It would look better, too. Etching can be by chemical means or by grit blasting through a template.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back