Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Padeye Design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaxen

Structural
Feb 15, 2012
US
I am designing a single padeye plate (no cheek plates) with a single shackle pin going through it. I am accouting for the two most likely modes of failure namely 1) Bearing = Fu x dia of hole x plate thickness 2) shear tearout = 0.4 Fy x Clear edge distance x plate thickness. Is this sufficient? Could anyone think of something else?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check into the ASME BTH design guide for below-the-hook devices. It includes design data for pinned connections. There are several different checks.

For shear tearout, you could multiply the area by 2. Be aware that AISC 9th edition, presumably 13th too, sets a limit on the allowable "clear edge distance. You also need to check weld of padeye to base material.

weab - 1) where does the factor of 2 for shear tearout come from? 2) Is it because, the pin would, for lack of a better term "emanate out" two cracks from it's circumference out to the plate edge? 3) would this factor of 2 also apply in the case of a bolt and a beam web?

Thank you all. I found AISC 14th edition now talks about pin-connections and eye bars as well. The equations are very similar to the ones in ASME BTH-1. My curiosity as to the failure mode is not completely satisfied but that's because, the ASME equations on pin connected joints are "empirical". However i did manage to find some papers that talk about a failure mode similar to the one i talk above. just a word of caution - don't use the empirical formulae (with 2t widths and 0.63 constant) in your beam web tearout calc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back