Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

painfully loud motor 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

foretmark

Electrical
Jul 14, 2008
US
Is there any electrical mechanism that I'm just not able to figure out that would cause a motor running under typical conditions to make an exceptionally loud noise under load? I'm fairly certain it's mechanical, but I'm being told it could be electrical and I just want to rule out anything wierd. It is a pump motor and the pump and motor have both been replaced seperately and together and the noise continues. I'm told it's coming from the motor/pump assy.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

EM noise would have existed from the beginning. OP hasn't indicated if this is a new installation or old. If this setup ever worked correctly? When did the noise start?

At this moment I tend to agree with 1000V.

Has a stethoscope or similar device been used to check whether the noise is in fact from the motor and not from the pump?

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Good point, waross! Eliminate which part the noise is coming from, as I understood it.
I have a hydraulic pump which gets noisy when loaded at the workshop before. We singled-out the noise coming from the pump, the motor seems to run well. Turned-out to be an overload on the system and pressure relief partially bypasses and chatters causing the noise.

well, I wasn't there to witness anything, but I'm told a new pump with a lower flow rate fixed the noise problem.

Thanks for all the input....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back