Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paint Removal on Assembly Line - What is efficient and safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbooker630

Materials
Apr 16, 2004
US
My company paints large axle housings with a VOC-compliant air-drying coating to a dry film thickness of 2-3 mils. Areas not requiring paint are typically masked prior to entering the paint booth.

I now have an issue with one of our customers, who has requested that no paint be evident on a particular surface that historically has never been masked for any of our customers. This particular area is difficult to mask and still operate an assembly line efficiently.

The leadership at my company does not want to use any grinding or flapper wheels to remove the paint due to the dust generation. Also I do not want to introduce any aggressive (e.g. chlorinated) solvents either due to permitting concerns. Also this is a manual spray operation.

I don't know if I'm asking for the miracle paint remover, but I am interested in what is available out there that generates minimal dust and does not produce hazardous vapors. Any insight on this would be most appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ask your paint supplier what solvents might be used and then determine which, if any, are environmentally friendly for the plant. On masking, if it comes to that, is the area conducive to using some sort of re-usable silicone rubber mask?

There are systems that use liquid nitrogen or dry ice to remove coatings.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Our company designs custom masks for difficult-to-mask areas - we'd be happy to take a look at the part and see if we can help you, or even refer you to a specialized firm if necessary. If we couldn't help you out, they certainly could.

magic612,

Yes I would be interested. Keeping in mind what is not allowed in postings, I'm not sure how we can proceed. Perhaps one of the members can advise us.

Everyone,

Thanks for all of your input. In addition to masking we are also considering the cryo option.

Hi dbooker630,
Wouldn't you need to mask anyway, if stripping, to protect the adjoining paint?? Masking to prevent the unwanted paint is the usual practice.
Here are some masking suppliers (dbooker630, it's OK to give company info as a response for solving a poster's problem. If I missed your co., just post the link):

Shercon Viadon LLC Argon Masking Corp. Tolber Chemical Division

dbooker630 - I'm a Viadon (Dave), but any of the other companies can help you too. Tolber only carries liquid maskants, the rest of us design molded and die cut masking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back