Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paint /sandblasting regulatory requirements, rules, limits, permitt? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuvivien212

Industrial
Feb 18, 2011
US
We would like to improve the painting and sandblasting process and meet related requirements in one of our (boiler/pressure vessel) shop located in Ohio.
I am gathering information on the regulatory requirements, rules, limits, permitting, etc.(from EPA, OhioEPA,DEC), unluckily, the huge amount of information disorientated me.
I am wondering if any gentlemen can guide me or gave me some suggestions/tips on the regulatory requirements, and how to meet these requirements.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Painting" is a broad field that can include many different chemicals and processes. Safety and environmental protection are also broad fields that can involve many different combinations of solutions for each of the different painting options. If you're really at a complete loss, I think you're going to need to hire a consultant.

You could try looking at I've learned a lot about painting from there.

Thanks trottiey.
We usually use Xylene to clean the outside of boilers and use Mica,Ash Grey, Coppertone to paint the exterior.Meet OSHA requirements.
What I would like to find out is which agent/associate I should look into to make the whole painting and sandblasting process safe.
Thank you.

You use suntan lotion on your pressure vessels? Just kidding; but "mica, ash gray, coppertone" just sound like paint colours. They don't give any indication of your paint chemistry. And the biggest environmental hazards often come from the corrosion protection coatings underneath the paint, and you haven't mentioned what you use for that.

You need an environmental consultant. You can probably find some listings in your local yellow pages. Shop around for someone who has experience setting up a paint shop. (And/or experience with outdoors metal painting if you work with big vessels.)

I would try to establish a relationship with a pain company and make them part of your process and make or develop painting procedures for you.

JL

Don't be afraid to ask.
I second the post by jlaoroque about getting the appropriate suppliers involved. You could get a consultant like Rick in the first link or if your needs are such someone like Pangbon. Smaller systems you would used companies like Clemco. To help you in getting up to speed there is a wealth of information about abrasives on the links to Ask Rick and Opta Minerals.
As far as permits and rules OSHA has a lot of information and a lot of requirements, especially blasters well being.

Maybe I can put my question this way:
Does a boiler manufacturer need any permits to conduct the painting/sandblasting process (exterior products)?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks unclesyd,
may I ask how about EPA federal and state? or DOE?
Do I need to contact them to have an initial inspection or something similar?

Appreciated.

Yes, you need to initiate the process. It's bad if the find about it without any prior knowledge of same.
I've found most of the regulatory agencies will work with you if you are trying to do it right.

A little advice that some may not agree with is to pay your lead blaster above the laborer scale. A sand blaster can make or break you in more ways than one. I got our company to pay the lead blaster at the entry level scale for mechanics. Our productivity went ski high and the equipment down time was cut a lest 50%. There were no redos. We also could change media without someone standing over the group, It also the first time we could use AL2O3 with worrying about blowing holes in something.
A footnote about a year after the raise I got him on the tool allowance program. One of the helpers using the available tools turned out to be very good mechanic and at the first opportunity as picked up by the maintenance group.

yuvivien212

I strongly suggest that you pick up the phone and ask the State EPA directly.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Biggest issue on pollution and OSHA -- NEVER use 'sand' to sandblast with. The shattered silica makes a dust that damages lungs RAPIDLY. The reason that sandblasters started wearing hoods with supplied air was that their lifespan was VERY short when they breathed the silica dust.

Thanks a lot for all of your answers.
Will it get OSHA/EPA's attention if we contact them before the painting.blasting process meet OSHA/EPA's regulation?

The consulting company all mentioned about the OSHA compliance, mock audit and process safety management (PSM). I am just wondering if there is a straightforward way or clear steps to get the permit from OSHA.

Do you all have the experience with consulting company? is it necessary and helpful?

Appreciate your help.

Will it get OSHA/EPA's attention if we contact them before the painting.blasting process meet OSHA/EPA's regulation?
Yes, but that's a good thing (unless you're doing actual painting/blasting without meeting the regulatons). They can help you.

I am just wondering if there is a straightforward way or clear steps to get the permit from OSHA.
Ask them. Why complicate it?

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Unclesyd,

Are you clairvoyant or did you once upon a time do some sand blasting yourself?

I did and I loved your suggestion.

I worked a deal while working my way through college summers where my partner and I split the work. I sand blasted and he painted machines that we had worked on. We both worked in a construction equipment shop and were the summer help. We overhauled trade-ins after hours. I didn't like the finess required to paint.

One time the shop foreman took in some outside work - a gasoline tanker truck - to be sandblasted and I balked when given the whole thing to do and said that for me and my buddy's special deal, he painted and I sandblasted, but for the tanker it was general shop work and I was just one of 5 mechanics in the shop. The foreman agreed. My partner said after coming in from his shift "well now I know why rmw acts so stupid after sandblasting - that really took a lot out of me."

Duwe6, I don't know if it was the silica in the sand (and yes, it was silica sand back then and we didn't use any kind of respiration) or the lead in the paint that had the biggest effect on me - effect on me - effect on me.

rmw

Aw come on, don't scare the newbies. Yes, it's true that silicosis (also called pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis just for fun!) can cut your lifespan in half if you are completely reckless, but any process can be rendered safe with the appropriate safeguards. You can sandblast safely if you have the right respiratory protection or environmental controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back