Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pallet Racking and Workbench Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValveEngineer123

Mechanical
Feb 28, 2008
US
I am a mechanical engineer (thermo/fluids, process system, component design) that has been assigned some additional duties. I was wondering if any structural or industrial engineers could point me towards some good resources regarding the following topics:

1) Pallet Rack Design: Specifically interested in how to calculate maximum permissible loads per level/per bay for given beam heights/configurations. I already have a copy of the RMI spec, however it appears I am missing some basic information regarding how to calculate forces/moments in the frame supports/uprights/bracing.

2) Workbench Design: I need to design a workbench that has a required capacity of ~10,000 to 20,000 lbs. Typically I would assume that this type of thing would just be 'overdesigned', however since I have little experience in this respect, I'm unsure how to assess whether or not the bench has been adequately overdesigned. Can anyone direct me to resources where I could find the types of evaluations a structure like this would require?

Or perhaps someone could direct me to a forum where this post might be more appropriate?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pallet Rack Design: this can be as simple as looking at the spec sheets / catalogs of pallet rack vendors since they all have load ratings (weight / square foot or equivalent). Purchase the rack components that you need to meet your loading requirements.

Bench design: this can be simple mechanical design, too, as long as you verify your numbers are correct. Pull out your old design texts or use a Machinery's Handbook for the formulas. Sketch out a welded fabrication design using standard structural steel shapes. You'll have to analyze the column loading and beam bending loads. Then add a hefty factor of safety. For a full design, you must spec the welds, also. A good fab shop can throw it together, paint it, and deliver it. Like some crusty old guy told me years ago: "Steel is cheap, use plenty of it."

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back