Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PanelView 300 Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

matsusi

Automotive
Sep 25, 2006
CA
I have a Panelview 300 (2711-K3A17L1) connected to the second comm port on my MicroLogix 1500 (LRP). The first comm port is connected to a 1761-NET-ENI and through that to my pc. Is it possible to program my Panelview with this setup through RSLinx? I've tried a few different comm configurations and all I get is a "Device is not a Panelview" fault.
If this will not work for me, what is the most effective way to program it? I don't have any serial ports available on my pc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think that MicroLogix supports port bridging.

One possibility would be to add two more 1761-NET-ENI modules and an ethernet switch. Build a star type network with the switch at the center. Both of the MicroLogix ports, and the PanelView connect to the switch through 1761-NET-ENI modules. The PC should then be able to see the PanelView and MicroLogix via the switch.

Refer to the 1761-NET-ENI user manual, 1761-UM006E-EN-P, Fig. 3.1, and imagine that one of the devices connected to the switch is a PanelView.

Or, replace the PV300 with a PV550 or PV+400, which has both DF1, and ethernet capabilities.

I like the idea of the NET-ENI modules having the Panelview and the Micrologix connected to Ethernet but a bit beyond my budget. I ended up just unplugging the Panelview and plugging it into my USB to Serial whenever I wanted to make changes. (a bit of a pain but...)
Thanks for the help!

There is a slot on the back of the unit for a flash card. You need a PCMCIA flash card adapter that you can get from your local computer store for about $20. You "Save As" a *.PVA file to the flash card and then insert card and adapter into the screen and upload that way. This is how we move PV300 programs from the office to machines on the shop floor. You never have to use the serial port for download again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back