Electrical
Mar 2, 2004
GB
Hi,
System
PLC -- SLC 5/03
HMI -- Panelview 550
Connected cables
From SLC 5/03 Serial Port to PV 550 Serial Port (RS232)
From PC Serial Port via 1747 PIC to SLC 5/03 DH485 port.

Software (old but usually works ok, have not had any problems before using it)
RSLogix 500 V5.20.00
Linx Lite 2.31.00
PanelBuilder 32 V3.80.00

This is a new project and all equipment is latest spec.
Although I have communicated with the PLC and down-loaded the PLC ladder logic, I cannot download the panelbuilder program.
The RS linx 'see's' the PLC but not the Panelview.

I have also tried connecting the panel view directly to my PC serial port and tried using DF1 etc to communicate with it, but still cannot down load the panelbuilder program.

I assume that I am not configuring the Comms correctly, and would appreciate some help and guidance on this.
Regards,
mrbj

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A while since I have played with the PV550. I am pretty sure you need to identify the PV550 firmware level to Panelbuilder before you can download to it. Whether this would prevent communication at all or just stall the download process I can't honestly remember. Maybe someone with more recent experience will chip in.

----------------------------------
image.php

Sometimes I wake up Grumpy.
Other times I just let her sleep!

Hi,
ScottyUK
Thanks for your response.

I have being back to site to check on a few things.
The type of panel view is 2711 - T5A5L-1, Ser B, Rev E, FRN 4.46 and powered by 24V dc.
The dc connections are correct.
The cable between the PV550 and the SLC 5/03 is a 2711 - NC13, which as far as I am aware is the correct one.
There is only one RS232 port on the back of the PV550.

I can connect my PC via its serial port to the PV550 directly using a 2706-NC13 cable, which is the cable I use on other PV's. When I do this there is still no response.

In actual fact the PV appears dead, even with power on and pressing the reset button (located at the back under the mem card slot).
No info / menu etc appears on the PV screen at all.

Am I missing something obvious??

PS.. the one thing that I was hoping to do was to connect the PC to the SLC via the 1747-PIC and have access to both the SLC 5/03 and the PV550 whilst it (PV550) is connected to the SLC5/03 using the above 2711-NC13 cable. Is this possible ??

Regards.
mrbj

Since your using RS232 between the SLC and Panelview.

1st thing you want to do is make sure that you can see the panelview on RSLinx. To get this done, check your serial settings match between the slc and panelview. The SLC shows this on the processor tab. Panelview should show this on the communications tab? I do believe the last poster is correct that the cable is a straight connection. My last project like this was a contrologix and panelview plus and it was definately a straight connection. I believe you can change the initial serial settings on the panelview even though you have not downloaded the config file.

Once you have this done then you should be able to download it through rslinx. I believe you have to have pass thru enabled. I am not sure what this entails to get this feature to work. Otherwise you have to download it locally. If you have the pass thru enabled, its a great feature if you have to make changes to the panelview remotely.

at least you do not have to deal with RSView Studio, which I hate.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back