Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Panelview1000 to SLC 5/05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue2bits

Electrical
May 16, 2005
GB
Hi all, require some help!!
I currently have a PanelviewV1000 HMI linked to an AB SLC 5/05 p.l.c which controls an oven.
The panel view has one page which controls all the fuctions. I want to create an input/output listings page on the HMI to assist with fault finding. I have set the page up and created a multistate indicator for each input/output and given them all tagnames.
The question is, what address do i use?? For example if i want a gas pressure switch to show enabled on the screen, do i use its input address, ie I:2.0/15 or do i have to use datawords etc. Hope this makes sense as i am only just starting out in p.l.c's etc.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can address the Panelview tags either way (Real I/O or internal words/bits).
I find it usefull to create a N File for the Panelview I-Face just to help keep the program organized.
I also try to avoid tagging to any Real I/O, although that is just my personal preference.
You should be able to look at the existing screen and see if the original programmer set aside a "block" of memory for Panelview comms.
Good Luck

I have done the exact same thing with the PV100 & SLC5/05.
To make our programs more universal, we "buffer" all of the PLC I/O with memory bit values. For instance, B3:0/0 triggers O:0/0 and B11:0/0 is triggered by I:0/0 (or semthing like that). If your PLC program is not written like this, you can go backwards as PATL01 suggested. Add a ladder file to trigger consecutive bits as I show above.

Why create extra work, especially if this is a onesy? I would use the real world I/O address, unless its not possible. It will simplify the screen and you or someone else won't be head scratchin' later.

My own preference, after some 30 plus years is to follow the KISS principle, it is sometimes useful to map bits into another file but I keep that to the absolute minimum. You not only need to think about how you will work with something, you also need to think about the people who keep it running.

Blue2bits!

How can you connect your plc and panelview?
What kind of protocol do you use?
I have a panelview1000 (DH+) and a PLC 5/03CPU (DH485)
Do you use something special device between them or only a simple cable? (Pinsequece?)

Thanks!

P. Mate

Forgot:
It may be cheaper to upgrade the 5/03 to a 5/04, then all you will need is a "blue hose" connection with terminating resistoer. Make sure your Panelview is in fact a DH+ model, you can't just go by the connection. It may be a RIO unit.

Ken

Panelviews can be ordered with whatever communications are required. We order ours with an RS232 port(DH485). Since yours is configured for DH+, the ideal thing would be to use a SLC5/04 processor which has a DH+ port instead of a DH485 port.
Now, to commmunicate between the SLC5/03 and the panelview 1000 with a DH+ port, you might try a DH485 to DH+ bridge. I've looked in my "Automation Systems" catalog and I think the part would be a 1785-KA5P. I've not done this and can't promise it will work.

The slc 5/05 has iethernet connections. I'm not familar with the panelview 100 but we lots of 600 and they can come with iethernet. I find eithernet the easiest protocal. cept for the spelling of it.

ethernet

Cut and paste the above when needed [wink]

----------------------------------

One day my ship will come in.
But with my luck, I'll be at the airport!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back