Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Paper Calmenson & CO. joist load table

Status
Not open for further replies.

joemarch

Structural
Jul 20, 2004
US
I am looking for the allowable load on a joist from Paper Calmenson & co. The tag reads B6022 18 28-8 it is spanning 28' any help on this would be great thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

joemarch
I am not familiar with your joist manufacturer. Suggest you obtain the depth and angle sizes and calculate the section modulus. Determine the approximate age of the joist and determine the yield stress of the steel. Use the allowable stress and figure the load per foot it can carry. Be conservative. Use engineering judgement to determine if that is reasonable for your span and loads.

Also, you might try the Historic Joist Catalog from the Steel Joist Institute. I don't know if it lists by manufacturer, but it might help you out.

Do you know the date of manufacture? If so, in addition to waht fepc says above (which I have done many times myself), you could figure out the weight in lbs/ft. Then from a load chart (like in historic catalog) you could cross reference your calcs to a published value. Just make sure you correct for allowable stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back