Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

paper mill thermography 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chemical
May 8, 2003
US
Hi

My name is Deysi, and I am looking forward some tips regards making inspection in a pulp & paper mill

Thank You

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The list is long, including electrical, motors (especially plugged cooling), steam traps, tank levels (solids, liquids and floaters), verification of valve closure or operations, heat exchangers, cross roll moisture profile of sheet and felts, verification of shower spray, temperature of steam dryer drums, bearings of all sorts, especially on chip conveyors, chip pile heating, refractory, especially in rotary kiln, bark dryer insulation, and many, many more. The key is to Think Thermally!

If I can be of further help, just let me know.

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me.
John Snell
Snell Infrared

John's list is very thorough so I'll just comment on a couple of things. We've successfully found: plugs in liquor lines, sludge in liquor tanks, foam levels in soap tanks, bypassed heat exchangers, wet streaks in felts, dryer cans not syphoning correctly, lime kiln brick delaminating, mud rings in kilns, ClO2 short-circuiting inline mixers, partially plugged blow lines, channeling in stock towers, belts misaligned, conveyors dragging on troughing/return rolls and numerous starter faults (uneven phases, bad fuse clips, loose connections, verifying heater strip operation).

The key is knowing how to operate your camera and it's limitations. Just walk around with it for a day or so and look at your processes. It will pay for itself guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back