Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Papercrete Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

sklev

Structural
May 24, 2010
US
We have a client that wants to build a house out of papercrete. I am not having much luck on finding information on the strength and other values for this material to find out if it is even feasible. There is a lot of information on the web about people who are building out of it, but I need to prove to the building officials that it is strong enough. Has anyone worked with or does anyone know where I can find more information on the material properties?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Papercrete and its related variants (sawdust, wood chips, etc.) has been attempted in a variety of forms for over 50 years.o No one has yet produced a viable product of these materials.

The International Code Council has not accepted any form of "papercrete" or any other form of cementitious material with organic "aggregate" or "reinforcement". That makes it difficult to use if you are in an area that has building code requirements.

As much as innovation is beneficial and necessary, I would steer my client toward something more durable and viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back