Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parallel computing in MSC NASTRAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alakin

Jun 1, 2012
US
Hi i'd like to know if NASTRAN is able to use all the CPUs when solving a Sol 106, and in case it can, does NASTRAN do the parallel computing automatically or do i have to write something in the the .bdf file? I couldn't find any clear information on the internet and msc's guide on nastan.
Thanks for your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SOL 106? If possible, I would use SOL 400 for Nonlinear static analysis since it is way faster, simpler, and more reliable.

To understand Parallel processing, try viewing WM85 at this link,

You can also send an email to mscnastran.support@mscsoftware.com and I am sure you will get a straight answer from them.

Lastly, there is a chart with all the supported SOLs for SMP and DMP. I will try lurking through all the documentation to find that chart.

I use NX Nastran, which is almost the same thing as MSC but not exactly.

For parallel processing I use the command "PARALLEL". This can be inserted in one of several places. You can put it in the analysis deck (which I think is your bdf file) as one of the first few lines in the file, in which case it would be written like this:
NASTRAN PARALLEL = N
where N = number of processors. I have it in my configuration file, which I think is called "conf.rcf". In that file, it is written as "PARALLEL=2".

There is another thread on this topic here:
I'm not aware of any limitations on, or problems with, parallel processing in Nastran. Nevertheless, I recommend referring to the Nastran documentation to make sure and to get more information. I refer to it all the time, especially when trying out a feature I haven't used before, and occasionally stumble across some helpful tidbit that I never knew before, or pitfall I didn't know about.

Lastly, you can open Windows Task Manager to make sure all the processors are actually being used.

thanks a lot for your response. unfortunately the job runs on the cluster of my company and i can't see the task manager. i'll try the parallel command though
tnz a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back