Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parallel port to SPI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gangmei

Electrical
Mar 7, 2003
US
I want to be able to use PC's parallel port to communicate with SPI interface of microcontrollers. I searched the web and could not find a very good solution. It could be a off-the-shelf small board with software.

Anyone can help me on this?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From my understanding, this board you mentioned is a ISA board providing parallel port. What I need is a small board connected to my PC's parallel port providing SPI interface.

i have done 1 project using parallel port to mcu spi line...

i use visual basic....but other also can...

what you have ti do is..

1. assign the parallel port with spi specs..eg:
pin 2(D0) = reset
pin 3(D1) = mosi
pin 4 (D2)= sck
pin x (s0)= miso -->cannot remamber the status port:parallel port input by defaut.

then..

2.write a program to send and receive from spi line...bit by bit.

eg:

for i=0 to 32
outport (data,binary:00000010);sck = 0
outport (data,binary:00000010);sck = 1

miso =inport (status)and binary:00000001
next i

but before you can transmit....must have a function to convert data you have into 8 bit parallel port,bit by bit...

you could just use a paralell to serial converter such as what you can get from tandy few dollars and you can use the 5v power rail in your computer for the supply, reduces curcuitry, you say serial input in the question so i presume you only want to go from the computer to your m/c if you want bi-directional communication this complicates things lots, it would be eisier to go and buy a serial card for your pc, you can get pci cards for about AU$60

I have just designed an SPI to Parallel interface board which i am about to make up in volume. Did you get anywhere finding anything suitable?

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back