Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

parameter study SAP2K 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Civil/Environmental
Jul 16, 2002
ID
I want to perform a parameter study with sap2k.

So i wrote this matlab script to change the parameters in the .s2k file and save a different .2sk file for each parameter.
So now I have 100 .2sk files, i want to import them in sap2k and save them as SDB files.

From there one i can add the files to the batch list and run all 100 files.

The problem is how to import these text files without importing them manually.
I can't run sap2k from the command line, can somebody help me with this problem?

TIA
Harry Naknek

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

I had had the same problem. I had to run
over 1000 cases of nonlinear analysis using
SAP2000.

I did excatly what you said in your post but
luckily there were several students helping
with the prob. :p

Best wishes,
Kamil

Kamil thank you for your reply,

so the students helped you importing all the files? or did they had another solution?

TIA
Harry

Hi Harry,

I imported the files whose format I prepared using fortran then the students helped me to run the pro.s and get the desired output out of SAP2000.

I have talked to Mr. Habibullah when I h<d a chance during a seminer he was giving. He told me to write him an email and he would reply. It was six months ago but he never did :(

Best wishes bro.
Kamil

Hi, I've had the same problem and requested CSI for a method to run a stream of batch files using s2k instead of only sdb format in the batch stream.

I received a reply that this capability would likely be implemented in SAP version 9. But they didn't say when that version would be available, but they seemed to indicate it would not be that long

Since Mr. Habibullah is CSI president and seems to travel quite a lot, you might try contacting support@csiberkeley.com with these kinds of requests. It's been our experience that if you have a valid request for a change to how the software works, CSI often incorporates the change into the program, although sometimes you have to be persistent with them

We had a similar question when we were evaluating SAP2k. They seemed really proud of their batch processing. They didn't seem to understand why it wouldn't work for our needs.

Hopefully masomenos is correct and they will include s2k batch processing in a future release. Running it from the command line and allowing it to write a customizable output file (all from the command line) would be gravy.

I think why it is needed has been explained well here, so maybe they will act on it.

I hope my question isn't too basic, but I'm trying to learn SAP with just the tutorial and and Analysis Manual and I'm having a tricky time with Batching. I can save a batch file to text, but what I would like to do is get a more technical/detailed text file with things like load values, temperatures, (a temperature function or excel type would be best) and material property variations (as degradation of yield strength under temp). I would like to run a number of analyses with different yield strengths and temperature scenarios so figuring this out will help a TON. I'm fiddling with all sorts of table output formats but I'm pressed for time and would like to expedite the process if at all possible. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ~Claire

Claire

1) Prepare a program (sap2000 file) that is ready to run. Do not run the prorom though.

2) Write (export) the details of the program to a text file.

3)Within this text file, find the relevant values that you ll change when running the program for the next run. And Save this new file under a new name.

4) Repeat the above process for as many runs as you wish. Then using the batch file mode, you can run all the files you prepared.

I hope this is useful. best wishes.
Kamil

Shaking,
Thanks for your help. But I think I'm still missing something. When I try to batch the files, SAP says I have to batch *.SDB files. Can I change that or is there another step to include the *s2k files instead? I can import files with $2k ext but I understand those are just backup files and I can only do that one at a time anyway. Thanks again. ~Claire

I have to do a parameter study using SAP2000 nonlinear Vs9. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to create a loop in the .txt file so that SAP to run the analysis N times for the N values of the parameter by picking each time one value for this parameter.Obviously I can not do it manually cause N is quite a big number.
Thanks
Nancy

I asked CSI tech support about the status of this feature while on a call for another support issue, and they told me that the ability to run batch file streams using .s2k and .$2k text files is coming in 1 or 2 weeks in the next version, 9.09. Let's hope so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back