Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

parameterisation of workbench geometry

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLBerg

Automotive
Aug 22, 2005
DE
Hallo everyone,

I am new in working with Ansys. I have already done some simulations with Ansys Workbench and have started working through the (very good) tutorials for Ansys now. Because I like Workbench better than plain Ansys, I have a question, if what I want to do, is somehow possible in Ansys Workbench:

I want to perform optimisations. I'd like to create a shaft, let Ansys find the places of minimum and maximum stress and change the shaft's geometry in the found places according to some rules I have created.

I have seen a parameterisation-tutorial for Ansys (but not worked through it yet). My question is, if my plan to optimise via rules working with stresses found in a (previous) simulation is doable in Workbench?

It would be great, if someone could tell me a "yes, it's possible" or "no, maybe in Ansys or in Ansys Workbench xx.x in the future".

I'd be happy for hints and tips.

Thank's in advance and best regards

Mario

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello

optimization within Workbench can be done with the DesignXplorer and DesignXplorerVT modules, but I don´t know if you can implement rules other than "minimize the maximum stress for this weight" or similar.

Hope it helps

Cheers

Hello again,

thank's for the quick reply!

Yes it helps alot, because I can go back to work with renewed enthusiasm and two handy keywords to search the (large) help-file :)

Thank's and best regards

Mario

Yes, you can, see "shape optimisation tool" which reside on the toolbar.
DesignXplorer (and the VT version) helps you to find the so called "surface response", I mean the sensitivity of parameter(s) vs the goal function (like max equiv stress).

Thank's, I will look closer at the shape optimisation tool, too!

Though, doesn't that tool optimise "via random" only?

Mario

See the following examples from Ansys Verification Manual:
VM155 - Shape Optimization of a Cantilever Beam
VM157 - Optimization of a Frame Structure

Also read:
"ANSYS Advanced Analysis Techniques Guide ANSYS Release 9.0"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back