Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Parametric BOM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pconnor

Mechanical
Mar 30, 2001
US
I am making a BOM (bill of material) or stocklist. Using repeat reagions and user defined parameters and filters to customize the stocklist. The problem is that when a component is removed the detail numbers (idx numbers) are all reasigned. I don't want to drive the table with a parameter of detail number because it could appear on more than one assembly. This problem of changing detail numbers is driving the purchasing department crazy. Has anyone found a work arround for this? :cool:

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I posted this response to a 4/12 item on Parametric BOM's. I think this might be what you're looking for...

To fix the Index #'s in a Repeat Region choose:

Table/Repeat Region/Fix Index

Pick the repeat region (the BOM in this case)

Pick the Rows that you want to fix the item# on.

If at a later time you delete a "fixed" item the number remains fixed until you "Unfix" it.

This should keep the items numbers from changing when you make additions or deletions from the assembly (we battled this at first too).

Bob Kerila, PE

I have used this method several times and it works pretty well. My current company handles their BOM's (in MS Word)in such a way that if parts are removed from an assembly (say index no. 4 of 7) that index number is removed as well so the bom will read as follows:

No. PartNumber
1 123.prt
2 456.prt
3 789.prt

5 111.prt
6 222.prt
7 333.prt

In ProE, I havent found a way to fix the index for the 7th part since there are only 6 parts, not to mention leaving the extra blank line in the list. Does anyone have a way to do this using repeat regions vs. typing in all the info into a standard table?

Steve Plichta, ME

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back