Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

parametrics

Status
Not open for further replies.

swhits

Military
Feb 3, 2005
US
I have notice over the last few versions that the parametrics of Solid Edge is very lacking. I change a hole and the relationships to that hole fail, I change an edge and if I include the edge to a hole the feature fails even if I maintain associativity. Plus when I would get to the draft the dimensions fail. I ask why are parts liked if they fail when a model changes. Is there something I am missing or is this the way Solid Edge works. Oh I am using V19. Thank you in advance for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

swhits,

Really need to see an example of what you are doing to help.

One thing to remember is that you can change the profile of a hole or cutout but you cannot delete the geometry that defines the hole or cutout. For example, if you want to change a 3 inch hole to a 4 inch hole you CANNOT delete the hole profile and replace it with a new 4 inch profile. You must change the existing profile.

Again, really need to see an example to answer your question effectively.

well What I have notice is if I change the (CHANGE)the hole from 4 to 5 the axial relationship to that hole fails, Also the dimension to that hole fails, and has to be reinserted.

swhits,

for the asm I can't verify this. For the draft it will detach
a dimension when using SmartDimension (because it will use the
outer edge) using DistanceBetween and dimension centre point
to edge will stay. Obiously using a silhouette point to dimension it will fail. (V19/SP1)

dy

I created a simple block with 2 holes - one created using cutout and one created using the hole feature. Dimensioned from the edge of the block to both the center and the silouhette edge of the hole. Created a draft of the block and dimensioned again to both the center and edge of the hole in both a top and side view.

I can change the size of the holes and the dimensions update without any problems.

SWITS if you have a picture of your model maybe someone can help determine why your relationship keep failing.

Hi,

I've tested the draft with a simple assembly. In a hole
a shaft is inserted. Diameter hole = 6mm , diameter shaft 5.5mm. Draft: top view, shaft protruding 6mm above to top face
limits H7/h7, SmartDimension.

Changing the hole to 5.5 then in draft the dimension hole
to edge will become detached. recreate the dimension and
chnaging the hole back to 6mm the dimension will not change
but dimensioning is from shaft to edge!
The axial relationship, however, never failed.

So it seems that a dimension in draft is likely to fail when
due to the change two edges of different objects coincide and
the faces as seen in by SE are on different planes (one on
top of the other)

dy

Donyoung,
The answer to your description is that SE does not duplicate lines in draft where edges are coincident.
If you have a hole edge circle exactly coincident with a shaft edge circle (as you describe when both are same diameter) there will be only be ONE circle in the draft - and you can't dimension edge to edge on the same circle, therefore the dimension you had will fail.
Another example is where two planar faces are coincident, such as 2 blocks mated together. There is only one line at the joint (unless they are offset along the mating face).

bc

bc,

I do know that it was just to explain *why* sometimes a
dimension becomes detached.
BTW: I found during programming that in draft a flattended
sheetmetal (shape: rectangle) gave me 6 edges instead of 4:
two long edges and 4 short edges. That leads to the assumtion
that SE will take the fist edge encountered when looking
at the top of a piece.

dy

Status
Not open for further replies.