Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Parking Layout - wide aisles, narrow stalls

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGLG

Civil/Environmental
Jan 26, 2011
US
I have a site which is long (east to west) and narrow (north to south).
After laying out three bays of parking stalls, I find myself with some extra space in the north-south direction - not enough to get another bay, but enough to make my aisles 28 feet wide instead of the required 24'. That got me thinking.

Given that the aisles can be much wider than required, would I have a leg to stand on for making the stalls narrower than the 9' typically required (maybe 8.5')? That way, I would pick up another two stalls in each bay

Thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Aisle width and parking stall widths do not have any direct correlation.

The depth of the parking stall can be decreased as the aisle width is increased, but not sure how you argue that an increase in aisle width = decrease is stall width.

Usually, the planning and zoning requirements for stall dimensions can't be reduced--but in some areas, they will allow a width reduction specifically for compact cars, provided you label each stall as such.

I would be inclined not to increase the aisle width, since it would create more impervious area and stormwater runoff to manage.

As far as the stall width: minimum standards are just that (minimum). While there area codes local to me that allow 9 ft wide stalls, I personally hate using them. I try to design 10 ft even with a 9 ft minimum. 9 ft stalls make for doors banging into the adjoining car and difficult vehicle access with innacurate parking of users.

Beyond a 22' isle width, there is nothing to be gained by using a narrower parking stall.

You may be able to reduce the isle width slightly depending on the type of parking. In an office with the same people using the same stall, it may be possible to slightly reduce the width due to the familiarity of the parking space and process. In a shopping centre, where parking is 'casual' and there is no familiarity, then full sized stalls are the norm.

If critical, consult a parking planner if OK by the building/planning department.

Best check with your building/planning department.

Dik

The wider aisles are needed to allow for access by delivery and emergency vehicles, so making the aisles narrower is not really an option (although, yes, that would help reduce impervious area).

Thanks, everyone, for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back