Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parking Lot Runoff and Erosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MER3

Civil/Environmental
Mar 23, 2010
US
I have a large parking area, probably 1 acre in total. It was built adjacent to a river and is supported by sheet piles in some spots. My problem is runoff related. We have storm drains installed in this parking lot that go directly to the river. I am trying to divert as much of the runoff as I can away from these drains because this gravel parking lot is a huge source of sediment in the runoff. As I divert water away from this parking area, I still have to deal with the water that does make it into the gravel. What are some techniques for controlling the amount of sediment that gets into the storm drains? We've done check dams in the past but they silt up pretty quickly around here.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If it is a gravel lot, and the gravel is your prime source of sediment in your inlets, I'm not sure there is much you can do to "prevent" it from getting into the inlets, short of paving the lot. Can you sump the boxes somehow, and fit the pipes with a snout.

You could encourage the owner to do some sort of gravel surface stabilization (i.e. mag chloride), which will hold the binder in the gravel longer and decrease your sediment erosion and transport.

There aren't any methods that will not require some form of maintenance. Sumps in the inlets (with periodic cleaning) are most common for gravel parking lots in my area.

You could maybe install silt screens, however it is inevitable that sedimentation will occur over the design life of the drain. In designing/specifying a drain/culvert I typically neglect the capacity of the top 25% and bottom 25% of the pipe diameter.

The bottom 25% obviously assumes sediment, but the top 25% ensures freeboard conditions will occur in line with the flood I've designed for. This in line with the CIRIA document Design and Maintenance of Culverts which is widely used here in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back