Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parking over septic leach field

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRANITE80

Civil/Environmental
Aug 9, 2006
US
I'm involved with a project where it appears the gravel parking lot has been constructed over the septic leach field.

My question - is it ever "okay" to park over leach fields? Even if the leach lines were designed to a depth and strength to prevent crushing, it seems that the continuous loads of vehicles would cause compaction, altering the permeability characteristics of the soil. What other issues are there to consider?

The site is extremely limited on space, so to move the parking lot off of the drainfield would significantly effect the owners development plans (which clearly is not ideal!)

I am a civil, not environmental engineer with limited experience in septic systems. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

THANK YOU!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From an engineering standpoint, there is no reason why you couldn't design and construct such a system that would handle the traffic load. From a regulatory standpoint, this is almost never allowed (in my experience).

tsgrue: site engineering, stormwater
management, landscape design, ecosystem
rehabilitation, mathematical simulation

It really depends on where you're at. Where I work it's generally not allowed. I've talked to folks in other parts of the country where it's commonly done.

Its never a good idea to park over a leach field. THe design of the fields are based on native soil characteristics such that any compaction will change this characteristics and may cause the field to fail. Even compaction slightly down gradient (for GW) may have that effect.

The piping may be able to be designed to handle the load but the soil treatment capabilities are based on oxygen delivery to the soil/WW interface, hydraulic capacity of the soils, and other environmental factors which may be detrimentally affected by compaction, paving etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back