Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Part analysis - create/display load transfer surfaces 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaborHun

Mechanical
May 27, 2008
HU
I analyse a machine frame in Cosmos. Smaller parts are welded onto the main frame in the frame assy. I'd like to analyse the main beam as a part.
The forces are transfered through welds, and if I open the main beam as a standalone part, the areas where the forces work are obviously not visible, but I can't find a way to define face sections, where the loads are transfered.
Is there any way to create a region in a part, where forces may be applied?
I used to extrude the contacting surface a tiny bit, so I could select it and apply the force to that surface, but it is a barbarian method, I know. Any civilised alternatives are welcome.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can do it using the 'Split Line' option.

To do so, open the part separately & on the face of the part where you want to make your "patch", create a sketch and draw the shape of the patch as necessary. Then use the Split-Line option (go to Insert > Curve > Split-Line) to create the patch as required (Hence the term split-line, because you are splitting a surface or face or a part with your own "lines")

You can also use the Split-Line option in Assembly mode whereby you can project one component's face or region onto another component, thereby creating the patch necessary on the component.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back