Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Part cleaning for Alodining (Chromate Conversion)? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

keffassefa

Mechanical
Apr 22, 2003
CA
I have a cylinder barrel which is cast aluminum alloy A356.2-T6 which needs to be be Alodined as per MIL-C5541E, CLASS 1A.
Since the barrels are machined and water based coolant is used in the machining process, what type of cleaning need to be done before sending out for the Alodine preocess?
My concern is not to create any contamination on the cleaning bath and the part itself during the surface prepartion stage.
Any suggestion please?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am in the process of Alodining some parts as we "speak". I am not familiar with the MIL spec you mention. We use the Alodine partly for cosmetic & partly for UV non-reflectivity qualities.

We used to wash in Propanol, then Acetone prior to an Alumiprep etch. Now we just wash in hot water using Ivory dish washing detergent & a non-abrasive brush, prior to the Alumiprep. So far it works great. On the more visible parts I wipe with Acetone ... just to make sure, but all the non-visible parts have turned out great so far.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[bugeyed] I tried sniffing Coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose [shocked]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back