Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

part cutout question

Status
Not open for further replies.

altnickee

Mechanical
Jun 22, 2005
NL
Hello,

I have a model like a tennis racket with the handle standing up.

In the round section i would like to make a 5 cm cutout slot in the middle, going all the way trough the material.

The only problem, the slot must be tilted 17 degree from horizontal & and the center of this slot must be 2 cm off center (lower)

pleas help me

gr Anthony

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi all,

the Dutch forum is down at the moment, true. The company hosting the forum is moving right now. The forum should be up today again.

Greets, IJsbrand.

dy,

I've already unzipped and viewed your file before I gave my first post. I didn't have any problems reading. In my model I was going for simple to reduce the typing needed. No dimensions or variables used at all.

PS
In another thread I would be interested in discussing design and modeling procedure with any members. I would like to see how my assembly modeling method stacks up with others using SE.

Jef

altnickee,

After looking at the pictures of your model you posted I think all you want to do is move the slot down 2cm? If this is true then you need to move the profile used to make the cutout down 2cm.

With your model. Right click over the slot cutout, edit profile. Select all elements that compose the slot. Select move button. Click base point and type 0 in 'x' box and 2 in 'y' box. Click down from original position to accept the move. If you wan't to make the slot position more adjustable you will have to add dimensions as well.

I fear that I have over complicated the original question.

Jef.

Jef,

I know how to make a normal cutout slot in a disk shaped part (using the cutout button)

In a disk shaped part with a protrusion on the side, like a tennis racket form, standing with the handle up,i can make a normal cutout slot in a angle of 90 degree measured from the handle!!

My problem starts when i want to make a slot, witch is
90-17 degrees = 73 measured from the handle!!

And the center (pivitpoint) of this slot needs to be on the vertical line (the longest line)and 1 mm below the center of the disk !!

i am using version V16

gr Anthony

Thanks Alwinus,

But nobody over here seems to understand what i am asking

Its a simple cutout in one plane .

If you draw a tennis racked shaped part (4mm thick) with the handle pointing up

On the flat side of this part,you have a horizontal centerline and a vertical centerline in this part

Than i want a slotted cutout (14mm long 3mm wide )witch horizontal centerlines are 17 degrees compared to the horizontal centerline in the "tennis racked shaped" part

The middle (pivit)point of this cutout needs to be at the same vertical centerline as the tennis racked shaped part,only 1 mm lower than the original horizontal centerline

I hope someone can give me good step by step instuctions
24 reply's given but no answers that can help me

I am using Version V16 and cannot open /read later ones !!

Thanks to you all for the support sofar!!

Anthony

Alwinus,

Yes i see , but how ? please step by step instruction, so i can see where i go wrong !!

The picture of the cutout is it made in solid edge ? because
in solid edge V16 i dont have the same picture!!

I always start in part, click the protrusion button,select a plane,create the part,than start to make the cutout.

Anthony

I see that you are dutch and solid forum is down so here you go:

In V16 kan je deze cutout makkelijk maken, je moet alleen een "constructionline" gebruiken.
Deze lijn is een hulplijn die je 1 mm onder je hartpunt en 17 graden schuin kunt zetten.(zie de gestippelde lijn)
Hierna kan je je eigenlijke cutout daar aan "vasthangen"

De hulplijn wordt niet mee ge"cutout"

Awin

Awin,

IK kom er niet uit !!

Ik heb eerst de instructies van donyoung geprobeerd
ook uit jou uitleg kom ik niet uit!!

Ben ik nu zo domme klootzak ?

Ik mag Solid Edge gebruiken van en vriend (buitenland )

Heb mezelf er mee leren werken ( wel de solid edge tutorials gedaan)

graag een stap voor stap uitleg

gr Anthony

Hoi Anthony,

waar zit je in Nederland? Belangrijkste vraag is: wil je dat gat wel loodrecht op het platte vlak hebben, of zit daar een hoek in?

Als je hem er loodrecht op wilt hebben:

pak de schets van FWC erbij.

1- teken min of meer je profiel (twee rechte lijnen en halve cirkels).

2- Zorg dat je lijnen niet op horizontaal geconstrained zijn.

3- Maak de lijnen parallel en de cirkels even groot met constraints.

Aan je tekeningen te zien was je al zover. Nu komt het:

4- Om het jezelf makkelijk te maken trek je je hele profiel even naar de plek waar hij ongeveer moet komen.

5- Geef de juiste maten aan.

6- Trek een lijn van het middelpunt van de ene cirkel naar het middelpunt van de andere.

7- In je menu's links zie je een icoontje met een doorgetrokken lijn en een gestreepte lijn, hiermee kun je van de net gemaakt lijn een constructielijn maken, dit betekent dat hij niet als profiel gebruikt zal worden, maar je hem verder voor alles kunt gebruiken.

8- Zet een maat van het middelpunt van je contructielijn naar het hart van je cirkel, zorg dat de optie van bematen op horizontal/vertical staat.

9- Het icoontje met een kruis kun je gebruiken om het middelpunt van je constructielijn recht onder het hart van de grote cirkel te zetten.

10- Nu alleen de hoek nog: Als je cirkel op het midden van het kruis van de vlakken staat is het makkelijk, je kunt het horizontale vlak gebruiken om de constructielijn de juiste hoek te geven, anders moet je nog een constructielijn maken van het rechteruiteinde van de cirkel naar het linkeruiteinde...

Sorry dat ik er geen plaatjes bij kan doen, bedrijfspolicy...

Succes, IJsbrand

"Alwinus,

Yes i see , but how ? please step by step instruction, so i can see where i go wrong !!

The picture of the cutout is it made in solid edge ? because
in solid edge V16 i dont have the same picture!!

I always start in part, click the protrusion button,select a plane,create the part,than start to make the cutout.

Anthony"

Did you say you use "protusion" button to make a cutout? -Make sure to use "Cutout" button (2 buttons below) to make the cutout, or else the feature will fail! -Hope this may help you ;-)

IJsbrand,

Bedankt voor de uitgebreide uitleg!!(Ik zit in Amsterdam)

punt 1 (twee rechte lijnen en halve cirkels)Aan de text te zien begin jij in sketch ? zou het kunnen zijn dat omdat ik niet in sketch mijn onderdeel heb gemaakt dat het daarom niet lukt?

Ik ben begonnen in part/ protrusion/select plane/maak een cirkel (25mm)/twee vertikale en een horizontale lijn (als een dakje er bovenop )/met trim button onnodige lijnen weghalen zodat ik een gesloten figuur krijg/finish button klikken/dikte figuur aangeven/finish/part klaar

Nu druk ik cutout button/select plane

Wat ik nu zie ziet er uit als de schets van FWC

Ben ik soms verkeerd begonnen? had ik in sketch moeten beginnen ?

punt 3 Maak de lijnen parallel en de cirkels even groot met constraints.? constraints? die functie ken ik niet,waar vind ik dat ?

punt 4 Om het jezelf makkelijk te maken trek je je hele profiel even naar de plek waar hij ongeveer moet komen.Hoe bedoel je dit ? zoals ik ben begonnen staat hij al waar hij moet komen !!

punt 6 Trek een lijn van het middelpunt van de ene cirkel naar het middelpunt van de andere. Ook uit deze text vermoed ik dat jij in sketch zit te werken en ik niet ?

punt 7 OK

punt 8 Zet een maat van het middelpunt van je contructielijn naar het hart van je cirkel, zorg dat de optie van bematen op horizontal/vertical staat.

Optie bemating heb ik goed staan,Dat middelpunt vind je zoals in punt 9 ?

Als ik dit doe dan krijg ik of een foutmelding of de hele constructielijn komt horizontaal te liggen !!

punt 10 is duidelijk maar zover kom ik helemaal nog niet !!

Worden jullie al helemaal doodziek van mijn gevraag en geklungel ?

gr Anthony

Man kan jo også skrive en hel masse på dansk, som ingen kan forstå, det er vel derfor der ingen liv er på de hollandske CAD forummer, if you write english, someone else may learn a few tricks, we have no clue whatsoever and it makes it harder to help you... ;-)

Anthony,

I just saw the Dutch forum is up and running again, I will post the answer to these questions there.

Sorry English guys, It was just a lot easier to help Anthony in Dutch. Thank you all.

ps. Anthony, Ik vraag de beheerder of hij het onderwerp wil verplaatsen naar 'algemeen Solid Edge' Hier krijg je meer reactie over gebruiksvragen.

Greets, IJsbrand

Hi,

when looking at the part's picture Anthony supplied then
you'll see that all is there. So the problem boils down to:
- move the slot down
- rotate the slot so that it will encompass an angle of 17
with the horizontal plane

If one can't cope with this ...

dy

Thanks to you all for helping me with the making of my cutout !!!!!!

I want to mention one person by name for assisting me in a way that couldn't be any better !!

My special thanks goes to IJsbrand Schipperus for his valuable help

A real Solid Edge expert .

Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back