Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Part Families - Threads (symbolic . Detailed)

Befuddled

Aerospace
Jan 9, 2008
GB
All,

I know this has been asked before... but it still doesn't seem to be fixed by Siemens.

It seems 'still' that the thread functionality doesn't update if the underlying geometry changes i.e. change the diameter of the shaft and the thread fails... unless you open the thread feature, and this manual act will update it.

but....i need to create a part-family, so cannot manually update the children.

As the thread command has changed in recent versions you can't seem to manually fool it to create a custom thread via the expressions.

What are the latest workarounds people are using!!!!!

I'm using NX1973.

Thanks in advance

B

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

An Update.......

After a bit of idle play, I have a fudge / workaround that I thought I would share.

1.) Firstly locate an old part which contains a legacy symbolic thread (I used a really old standard part NX5 era)
2.) Import this part into your new part
3.) Copy and paste the symbolic thread feature from the part you have just inserted onto the geometry in you new part
4.) Create a series of expressions to manage the thread (MAJOR_THREAD_DIA, MINOR_THREAD_DIA, THREAD_PITCH, THREAD_ANGLE, THREAD_SHAFT_SIZE)
5.) Edit the parameters of the recently 'pasted' symbolic thread feature to reference your thread parameters
6.) Create the part family as normal, ensuring that you add the thread expressions to the table.

Cheers,

B.....

Back