Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

part family assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimrivers

Mechanical
Sep 7, 2011
US
I was assigned a task to create an assembly of a valve stack. Up to nine different valves in a stack, each valve has an actuator on each side and the valve component could be repeated up to nine times...how do I distinguish between same component in different position in am assembly. Arggg i know it is probably a simple obvious answer i just can't come up with it right now..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Static assembly or dynamic?

Just add the components to your assembly and mate each one independently.

Is there some component that is changing shape or 'size' depending on where it is in the stack?
Use a flexible component to show the change.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

I meant to add and then turn into a PART FAMILY ASSEMBLY..there are hundreds of variations.When adding the columns if there are the same part it only adds one column Valve body, acutator A and B work ports and possible shock valves..not so time saving if i have to create subassembly part families and then maintain the part families, Would like it if the engineer whereever in the world he is can create the appropriate assembly stack through ONE part family file. Make sense?

Makes sense, BUT there are limitations to part family assemblies, namely the number of components that you can control.

Your solution may be better off handled by a custom program that the engineer can enter their requirements as a front end and then have NX build the assembly from the requirements. This level of automation is available in the UG/Open C/C++ programming. There are companies that sppecialize in custom applications like this if your company does not have the programmers available. As a side note, it is easier to teach a programmer to use the NX libraries than it is to teach a CAD person to program in C/C++!

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back