Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PART FAMILY MEMEBERS DESCRIPTION UPDATES IN TEAM CENTER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lokesh gopal

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2017
IN
thread561-362661

Please let me know if we can edit the part family members description in the master file xls and get the same description populated in Teamcenter family member's item id
Description DB_PART_DESC & DB_PART_NAME

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If this is allowed for your role by your Teamcenter DBA then it should be possible.
Most of the times it won't be allowed because you have to conform the naming rules stated in your DB.

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX11 / TC11

Hi Ron,
Thank you very much for your response. Since we have an requirement to edit the the description of all the smart numbers that have been already created and used in assemblies, we are trying to change the description in CAD ADMIN role.Since i am not that much aware on the naming rules could you please share more info on the same.
we have tried all the part family saving option like, update parts & create part option also,it shows up a report that family members are updated,
But only the excel is getting saved with the new description , In team-center family part members description are not getting updated.
Kindly help us on the same. I have uploaded image of excel where i have hided the part model expression tabs for your reference.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ef8ac1c2-27e1-4cdc-800c-66ec8cdcfa08&file=IMAGE_PART_FAMILY.PNG
It all depends if you have the rights to change those values.
For already used, and more important, released items it will be very difficult (if not impossible) to change those descriptions in Teamcenter.
This sort of edits is usally blocked and can only be performed by someone with dba rights.

It is easy to check to ave someone with dba rights perform the the Partfamily update.

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX11 / TC11

Probably DBA Role in combination with administrative bypass if they're already released.
Be very very careful with that mode! You can override / save anything, even checked out items by other users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back