Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Part modeling - how do I create a bent ribbon cable? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

m60gunner

Mechanical
Apr 11, 2002
US
What is the best way to model a ribbon cable which bends a couple of times back upon itself? Imagine folding a ribbon cable so that it travels perpendicular to it's origin, and then folding it perpendicular to itself again so that it is now traveling parallel to its original path.

I just can't get a smooth model.

Air cooled, belt fed, gas operated machine gun firing from the open-bolt position

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is a little difficult to explain verbally...

Take a flat ribbon, lay it on your desk. Now take one end and fold it so that it is running perpendicular to the end that is still laying flat. Do not bend it up or down - bend it left or right. Kinda like dog-eared pages - folding the corner of a page down will give you the same bend that I am trying to.

Air cooled, belt fed, gas operated machine gun firing from the open-bolt position

Truncated URL, file not found.

"But what... is it good for?"
Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Sort of, but the cable doesn't stretch around the turn like you are showing it, it gets folded such that the outer wire (last) in the ribbon is the same length as the inner wire (1st) of the ribbon.

I agree - but SM would not give such an exaggerated stretch - it wouldn't be visibly noticeable.

I used both the sweep and the sheet metal - different configs. I actually needed the appearance of the individual conductors at one point, so the sweep worked well in that case.

Is the cable detail really needed? If not has anyone considered a surface sweep and thicken?

Regards,

Christopher Zona
Litens Automotive Partnership
Concord, Ontario, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back