Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Part Name Descriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alvan9

Mechanical
Jan 25, 2008
GB
Is there a standard on how to word a specific item. For example if I have a 30' Cat 5E Cable, how would I go about wording it on the drawing and in the system?

Any help is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know of a standard format. Define the requirements.

You must identify whether the cable tray rated, plenum rated, flammability test, shielding system, color selection for patch cords, multiple-pair, etc. Don't abreaviate the length as 30'. Instead show 30-foot. Is that the distance between connections or did you include length to accommodate pulling through conduit, etc.? Does the project require compliance with a UL, TIA or ICEA standard such as S-90-661-2002?

Advise if any options are required:
Conductor type and coating, Color Code for Patch Cordage, Rip Cord required, Shielding System, Jacket Color, Transmission Classifications, Flammability, Limited Smoke,
Halogen Free, Length Marking, Packaging, etc. See the ICEA Cat 5e Annex A for a check-off sheet.

ASME Y14.100 has some guidance on part naming, but I think it's in a non - mandatory appendix.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back