Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Part Navigator Properties reset each time NX 1980 is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

qreason

Industrial
Mar 1, 2020
BE
As the title says, each time I open up a file in NX 1980, my art navigator Properties are reset.
It seems to be the only settings that aren't applied permanently after shutting down the program...

Couldn't find an answer online, so hopefully someone here can help me with this.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It might , depending on your setup , be an issue which I am trying to understand currently.
Somewhere along the development line , Siemens started moving the data stored in the Windows registry out to a file named UserPreferences.txt
this file will be placed either in UGII_PROFILE_DIR ( this variable can be set and then controls where) or under C:\users\name\appdata\local\siemens\NX1980\ ( the default location)
The UserPreferences.txt seems identical to how the registry appears if exported.
but
Then they also introduced GroupPreferences.txt and SitePreferences.txt
these reside, if existing, in UGII_GROUP_DIR/Startup ; UGII_SITE_DIR/startup
but it seems that if one or two of these exists, my settings / my changes will not be saved upon exit (or ?) . rather my settings will be overridden when I start a new session.
Which means that my intention of providing our users with a good initial setup of the assembly navigator and part navigator , and should allow the users to modify from that , seems to fail completely...

The odd piece in this is that for customer defaults, the group defaults will override site defaults and user defaults will override both site and group defaults. ( unless locked on site or group.
the xxxpreferences.txt seems to work the opposite, group overrides user and site overrides both group and user preferences.
Odd.

Open the Menu -Help -NX Log file then search for preferences.txt, If there is a site or group file these will show.

Regards,
Tomas

Never try to teach a pig to sing. I wastes your time and it annoys the pig.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back