Part Numbering & Copying Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmctiernan

Mechanical
Nov 27, 2006
IE
Hi All,

I work for a company that manufactures conveyor systems and bespoke equipment for food processing plants.

Recently we have decided on a 7-digit non-significant sequential part numbering scheme (xxxxxxx). This number will be used as both the part number in our custom properties and also as the filename. Before we implement it I want to come up with some guidelines for its use. My question arises when I want to copy a previous project that already has part numbered allocated and has all its files numbered using this scheme.

I could alter the numbering scheme so as to incorporate a 4 digit project code (yyyy-xxxxxx) however, I have read on other threads that the part number shouldn't contain the project code because this would inevitably lead to parts having multiple numbers even though the parts are identical. Also if the part was updated and someone copied one of the projects where the part wasn't updated...... anyhow I hope you can see where this is going.

What would be the best way to copy and re-assign new numbers to the copied project?. I know there isn't really just one "best way" but I guess what I am looking for is some ideas of how others handle this exact same process/task. We currently do not use PDM although we do have Solidworks Professional of which PDMWorks Workgroup is a component.

As always, any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Declan.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

See thread559-45542 for an extensive discussion and tips for numbering systems.

Having the project code as part of the number scheme does not necessarily "inevitably lead to parts having multiple numbers even though the parts are identical".

I recommend using Pack and Go for copying and renaming/renumbering. When using PnG components can be selected for copying and left unselected for referencing to other projects or library folders.

Any component which could become a common part could/should be placed into a library for future use and be numbered accordingly.

[cheers]

Declan,
What is the reason behind using a 4 digit project code (yyyy-xxxxxx)?

Bradley
SolidWorks Pro 2008 x64 SP1.1
PDM Works, Dell XPS Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 5 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400

Hi Bradley,
At the moment we use a 4 digit project code for each conveyor system we build. If I want to copy a previous project as a starting point for a new project, I simply use SW Explorer (Pack & Go) and copy all files (parts, assemblies and drawings) into a new folder and also change the 4 digit project code using the Find/Replace function.

This works fine since we currently name files as follows:

yyyy-yyy, description.sld***

so if I use Pack & Go to copy an assembly

8952-106, Assy, Main Shaft.sldasm
- 8952-106, Shaft.sldprt
- 8952-106, Key, 8x7x80.sldprt
- 8952-106, Sprocket, S1100, 20T.sldprt

I simply replace the "8952-106" portion of the name.

If I implement a numbering system for all parts and assemblies to ensure unique file names for PDM purposes and now if I use Pack & Go on the same assembly thats now numbered

1002341.sldasm
- 1002345.sldprt
- 1003256.sldprt
- 1002476.sldprt

it is impossible to rename things easily without obtaining a whole new set of numbers that I now have to individually change during the Pack & Go process.

I have read in other threads not to put project specific identification on files as this does not lend itself for proper management of files when you want to re-use an existing component or assembly in another project.

We do need to start using a numbering system for spare parts purposes, etc.

I'm pretty confused with the whole thing and to what may be the best way for us to proceed.

Declan.

Declan,
I am with the rest of the group in saying “not to put project specific identification on files”.
The PDM can group your projects by project folders. The PDM will let you search by description, by part number, gives you a where used list and keeps history.

I have not really tested this one, but have renamed files in my working directory using PDM and it works. You can use PDM rename function on a part in your working directory and PDM will rename its the drawing, in the assembly and in the assembly drawing.

We use an excel file in the PDM to get new part numbers for our parts. One takes ownership of the excel file, enters the number and put the file back into PDM Vault and releases ownership.

Bradley

Hey Declan,
Nice to see you're gaining some ground on your numbering conversion. I have a question for you though. How are you currently storing your files for each project?

It sounds as though you're just storing your files in one big folder. You might want to have some sub-folders by project number. This would allow you to move forward with your numbering scheme yet allow you to find all the associated parts for a given project.

Released <- (Top level folder for produced products)
- 8952 <- (Project numbers)
- 1002341.sldasm <- (Top level asm and all components)
- 1002345.sldprt
- 1003256.sldprt
- 1002476.sldprt
- 1005698.sldasm
- 1006023.sldprt
- 1006024.sldprt
- 1007532.sldasm
- 1007633.sldprt
- 1007647.sldprt

Now you can go one step further and have a "Discontinued" top level folder with all the project numbers of products that are no longer built. Create another on for "WIP or Work In Progress". This gives you the ability to find and copy existing projects. But you will run into what CorB has already mentioned with regard to identical parts w/ different part numbers. Once in place this is where your PDM will come into its own. So unfortunately it sounds as though you need to devise a folder structure and process for moving/copying data around until your PDM is put in place.

Kevin Carpenter
CAD Systems Administrator
Invacare Corp.

Hi Bradley,
I had a bit of a play around with PDMWorks Workgroup on a test vault I setup on my home PC. I have been testing project naming and different ways of viewing and searching for files. It just lead me to yet another question. I cna definitely see the benefits.

In order to re-use parts, etc, I can simply drag and drop them from wherever they are in the vault, which is fine, however, what happens with the drawings?.

The current way we do things, we add custom properties to all SLDPRT and SLDASM files such as "Customer" and "Project Number" and these populate our drawing titleblocks. The main reason for doing this is so that our guys on the production floor always know what parts belong to what projects just by reading the titleblock info. They could easily be fabricating several projects at any one time and they need to "clock" time against whatever project they are working on.

We are a pretty small company with 5 engineers and about 20 guys in production fabicating the all components and conveyors. We would have an annual turnover of about €10million. We do not have an ERP/MRP system and so all relevant manufacturing information is currently on our drawings. We are continually growing, projects are becoming more complex. Its pretty much a small company that growing faster than our current structure and systems can handle and we have been playing catch up for a while. I'm trying to see a little further into the future and to make some positive changes and to take more control of our design office. Hence, proper file management is a must.

How do you handle this type of issue?

Declan

Declan,
As for PDMWorks Workgroup the vault can only have one part, assembly and drawing at any time. If you see the same number twice it is linked to the real location. If you put a part under Project_A and use it in Project_B the true part is located in Project_A and linked in Project _B.

Bradley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back