Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

part per million conversions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey2

Materials
Oct 29, 2006
Hey guys... quick question

I need to dilute my chemical into parts per million. But of course the only way to order it is (48 wt%, in water 99.9%)... 100ml bottle

Is there anything tricky in the conversion or can i just go about it as if it was 100%

if 100%, i could just do 1ml into 999ml water, stir, then put 1ml of that solution into 999ml of more water. That would give me 1 ppm right?

So if 48 wt%, could i go about it the same way...
48/100 * 1/500 * 1/1000 = 0.00000096 which is almost 1 ppm

Theoretically, would that still work? I know i can do it on a smaller scale, but i'm just not sure if my conversion still works.

Thanks guys
-Mikey

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, that's not very accurate -- it assumes that the solution density is the same as water, 1 g/ml.

You also need the density of the 48 wt% solution. The maxium density limit is 48 grams solid ideally dissolved in 52 grams water having a density (48 + 52)/52 = 1.923 g/ml. So, dissolved solid = 0.923 g/ml. Then, to get 1 Liter of 1000 ppm solution, want 1 gram dissolved solids so use 1/0.923 = 1.083 ml, diluted to 1 Liter.

The density of the solution may be available from the MSDS, product bulletin, CRC Handbook of Chemistry & Physics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back